How do you land a job at Google? And how do you deal with the triple negatives in tech: being young, female, and person of color? This week, I am joined by Mona Weng from Google. Mona is currently the Global Lead for Waze’s Broadcaster Partnership Program & the Asia Pacific Regional Business Development Lead.
In this week’s fireside chat, Mona will share why quitting her first job out of college was her Zero to Infinity moment. She will also share tips and advice on how you can ace your next interview, especially if you want to work at Google! After our Lightning Round, Mona will reveal this week’s #BeInfinity challenge. Stay until the end of the show to see if you were featured in this week’s Community Highlights and hear how you can win a pair of Apple AirPods!
- Mona Weng is currently Waze Asia Pacific Regional Lead, Global Partnerships at Google
- Prior to Waze, Mona held roles in AdWords Marketing & Sales at Google. In her 20% time, she leads inclusion & engagement efforts with the Asian American business community
- Waze is the world’s largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute
Long Form Questions
- Mona’s background
- What is Waze? And what does a job in business development entail?
- Mona’s Zero to Infinity moment: leaving Macy
- How should one approach leaving their first job if it’s not a good fit?
- Mona’s early challenges when she first joined Google and tech
- How to deal with the triple negatives in tech: being young, female, and person of color
- How did you land your job at Google?
- What advice would you give to listener who want to work for Google one day?
- Besides a resume or GPA, what else do you look for in candidates who are early in their career?
- Startup vs. establish company: where does Goggle fall on that spectrum
- How do you define success?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your most favorite app for productivity?
- Where do you get your news?
- We’ve been hearing a lot about mentorship throughout the show. Are there any particular mentors you’d like to give a shout out to?
- What is the best advice you’ve ever received and want to share with Infinity listeners at home?
- By next week, practice your elevator pitch with a friend in an actual elevator! Share your elevator pitch and story with us using #BeInfinity to be featured in an upcoming Zero to Infinity episode!
- We’re welcoming our first team member and intern to the #BeInfinity team. Welcome Daniyal Malik to the team!
- We’ll be starting the Zero to Infinity Facebook Group soon. The group will allow you to engage with other professionals and entrepreneurs, including myself, Mona, Max, and other future guests of the show. To learn more about the Facebook Group, go here
- March Giveaway: One lucky listener will win a pair of Apple AirPods, One Month Subscription to Audible, and a One-on-One Skype Call, simply (1) subscribe to the show on iTunes or wherever you listen to the podcast and (2) subscribe to our #BeInfinity Newsletter
This Week’s Partner
ZipRecruiter is the smartest way to hire and get hired. With over 8 million jobs, ZipRecruiter is the only site you’ll ever need to find your next job. If you are a hiring manager, post to 100+ job boards with just one submission. Try ZipRecruiter For Free Today
Launched in 2015, Shapr is a free app that will revolutionize professional networking. If you are an avid listener, you know the importance of mentorship and how relationship building can be a career game changer. Try Shapr For Free Today
- Subscribe and leave us a review on iTunes or wherever your get your podcast
- As a fairly new show, your support makes a huge impact
- Share this podcast with friends and coworkers who may benefit from this episode